We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join our independent management consultancy, working on diverse projects at the cutting edge of data analytics.
The ideal candidate will currently be in an existing consulting role or within an internal analytical group, looking for a new challenge, new opportunities, and the chance to make a bigger difference.
Salary: £50-60k + 20% OTE
To apply please send your CV and a brief covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The letter must cover each of the following three topics:
1. What data / analytics project experience would you bring to the role?
2. Tell us about your desire and ability to build your skills in selling analytical solutions
3. What is it about working for a smaller, niche consultancy that appeals to you?
Please note: applications without a CV and a covering letter (covering all points 1-3 above) will NOT be considered.⠀
As a Senior Consultant you will split your time between client work, sales & marketing and staff management. The role is based at our offices in St Albans but with flexibility to work from home. The role involves travel to client sites across the UK (and occasionally abroad) for project work.
As a Senior Consultant, you will be most often engaged in solution design, project management and stakeholder management, but you must also be able to roll up your sleeves and get ‘hands-on’ with technical development when needed.
The work is varied and frequently involves – dealing with partially-defined requirements; working with complex, messy datasets; developing and deploying state-of-the-art analytical tools; and writing reports for diverse and demanding customers. You could be working as the sole consultant developing an analytical strategy for a client one day, managing a multidisciplinary team to develop a bespoke analytical model another.
Sales & Marketing
As a Senior Consultant you will make a significant contribution to our sales and marketing efforts. This will include but not be limited to – finding and developing leads; developing long-term relationships with clients and potential clients; writing blog posts and sales collateral; presenting and representing the company at conferences and other events.
A significant proportion of your remuneration will be linked to success in winning new work and new clients.
You will have line management responsibility to one or more, more junior, consultants. Setting their objectives, assessing them and supporting their development.
As a project manager you could be managing juniors, more experienced consultants, external Associates and partners and even client employees. You will need to be as confident communicating with C-suite executives, as with junior analysts and stakeholders at every level between.
Required Skills & Experience
The Senior Consultant will be expected to offer most of the following skills and experience when appointed, with a demonstrated capability to gain the remainder within 6-12 months of joining the company.
- A good numerate or analytical degree, e.g. in Operational Research, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or Computer Science
- Five or more years’ experience in a customer-facing consultancy role
- Project management experience, ideally using both waterfall and agile approaches
- Proven track record in identifying and winning new work, ideally with hands-on experience using a CRM
- Familiarity with common design patterns for analytical solutions
- An ability to learn new skills quickly and to assimilate large amounts of information
- A logical approach to problem solving and decision making
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to manage and work in teams
- Good understanding of software development tools and techniques
- Expert level Excel skills
- A flexible approach, including a willingness to work on client sites throughout the UK
- A friendly, outgoing, mature personality and a sense of humour
Nice to have
- Experience developing and delivering training sessions and seminars
- Hands-on software development experience including design, version control, testing and documentation; ideally involving R, Python, Git and Docker
- Experience working with databases to transform and extract data, e.g. using SQL
- Experience working on or with Azure or AWS hosted databases & applications
- Experience in one or more of the following analytical techniques: machine learning, logistic regression, applied AI, discrete event simulation, MIP/LP optimisation, Bayesian models
The success of our company rests entirely on its staff. That’s why we place great emphasis on training and development, including formal classroom & online training, on the job experience, mentoring and in-house development projects.
- Competitive starting salary, with progression on merit
- Commission, bonuses and profit-share
- Company pension
- Life insurance
- Personal training budget
- Varied and intellectually stimulating range of work
- Warm, supportive and good-humoured work colleagues
About Hartley McMaster
Hartley McMaster is an independent management consultancy that uses analytical and structured methods to solve real-world problems. For over 30 years we have helped clients to make more informed decisions with data analysis and statistics, data science, and scenario modelling.
We work with most UK government departments and public bodies, as well as major private sector organisations and renowned charities. Our consultants blend specialist knowledge and experience with a desire to deliver true value for our clients.